Skip to content ↓

Stanground Academy

Proof of Identification

The offer of a school place is conditional until proof of address has been received.


We require the following proof before your child can be admitted into school:

1. Proof of where you (the parent/carer) live

2. Proof that the child lives with you (the parent / carer)

3. Proof of the child’s date of birth


Please note: Where there is any doubt about parental responsibility, we need you to provide proof of parental responsibility. Please see below for further clarification.


Acceptable proof of where you live:

(All documents must be dated at or before the time of the application)


Please provide any two of the following:

(Original copies only)

  • A copy of a current tenancy agreement signed by all parties and arranged through a letting / estate agency.
  • *Current private tenancy agreement (not arranged through a letting/estate agency) must be supported with three copies of utility bills.
  • A copy of your Council Tax bill for the current year
  • A copy of a recent utility bill for your home address, showing usage - gas, electricity, water, telephone (not mobile phones)
  • A copy of your driving licence
  • Copy rent book for a current council tenancy
  • Copy letter from a housing association confirming that you and the child are living at address
  • Mortgage Statement within the last 3 months
  • A copy of your house insurance dated within the last 12 months
  • HMRC Tax notification documentation
  • Credit Card Statements dated within the last three months
  • Bank / Building Society / Statement dated within the last three months
  • TV Licence (valid for the current year) with the name and address
  • Letter from National Asylum Support Service (NASS) OR UK Border Force (UKBA) confirming placement at the address Recently moved house


If you have recently moved house and your present address is different from the address on your application, you must provide us with a Closing Council Tax bill or Closing utility bill for gas, water or electricity for your previous address to prove that you were living at the address at the time of application.


You will also need proof of your new address. Even if you prove that you live at the address yourself, we still need proof that your child lives there as well. Please be aware that irrespective of the proof you provide, we may ask you to supply further evidence to verify your address or prove a sibling link. Proof that the child lives with you.


We also require proof that the child that has been offered a school place lives with you:


Therefore, please provide at least two documents to prove that your child lives with you.


For example; a letter from your child’s GP, dentist, hospital, optician; NHS Medical Card; child trust fund document; Letter from social services or housing department confirming child’s placement at address; Proof of the child’s date of birth.


One of the following documents must be provided:

  • The child’s birth certificate or
  • The child’s passport (this must be valid) or
  • European Economic Area* (EEA) Identity cards or
  • Home Office paperwork including the child’s name and date of birth Proof of Parental Responsibility


Parental Responsibility


Where there is any doubt about parental responsibility, we will ask you to provide proof of parental responsibility. In such cases, whatever you choose to provide will be entirely up to you. However, it must indicate that you have parental responsibility. In law having "Parental Responsibility" (PR) means all the rights, duties, powers, responsibility and authority that a parent of a child has in relation to the child and his property.


For example; having the right to make important decisions about the child's life in areas like medical treatment and education. People other than a child's natural parents can acquire parental responsibility through;

  • Being granted a child arrangement order
  • Being appointed a guardian According to current law, a natural mother always has parental responsibility for her child. A father, however, has this responsibility if he is on the birth certificate for a child born after 1st December 2003 or if he is married to the child's mother or has acquired legal responsibility for the child. Changes in the Adoption and Children Act 2002 mean that from 30 December 2005, unmarried and same-sex couples that have jointly adopted a child will also have equal rights with regard to parental responsibility. Others can also acquire parental responsibility by holding a Child Arrangement Order, Special Guardianship Order, or the Local Authority via a Care Order. Examples of documents that denotes parental responsibility include:
  • The child's Birth Certificate;
  • Marriage Certificate;
  • Parental Responsibility Agreement entered into by birth parents;
  • Copy of a Court Order giving father parental responsibility
  • Child Arrangement Order in respect of the child
  • Adoption Order
  • Upon taking office as a formally appointed guardian of the child Please note: It is an offence to give a false address.


If you have been offered a school place based on information which then turns out to be false or misleading, we reserve the right to withdraw the offer and your application will be re-considered based on the correct facts. This may apply even if your child has started at the school.